Living in the Midwest, we always have an abundance of corn this time of year. There’s Sweet Corn for sale on nearly every corner, at the Farmer’s Market , in stores and available from your neighbor. We even have an annual Sweet Corn Festival in my town where ears of corn are sold right along side hamburgers and hot dogs.
My kids love corn right off the cob. But, I like to get a little creative from time to time and create other dishes with our favorite local vegetable. This Corn, Avocado and Cilantro salad is perfect for a simple side dish that can be mixed up either ahead of time or right at dinner time.
4 large ears of corn
1 small bunch cilantro
1 large avocado
2 tbs olive oil
- Add shucked ears of corn to large stock pot of water. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes or until corn is tender
- Cool slightly on cutting board before removing corn from cob by slicing straight down with a large chef’s knife or other sharp knife
- Add corn to serving bowl
- Cut avocado into bite size chunks and add to corn
- Chop up cilantro and add to bowl
- Pour in olive oil and mix all ingredients together
Can be served warm, cold or room temperature. The world is your oyster – think outside the box – or something like that!
This recipe serves 4-6 people – but it can be adapted easily to however many people you have. Just add a little more ingredients and you’re good to go!